Friday, January 8, 2010

Transitions between phases of growth


Because my piece has three main sections (childhood, adolescence and womanhood) I had to come up with a clever and effective way to transition into each phase without breaking the flow of the piece. I attempted different strategies such as using ink flows to travel from one shot to another, but the transition seemed too sloppy. I tried to use large letterforms as shapes over the footage to create a sort of cut out montage, but it broke the softness of the piece. I needed to find an element that related to all three phases of my piece to use for transitioning from one stage to the next. I went to the local florist and bought an array of flowers and little plants. Blooming flowers and buds are used throughout and finding a way to take that concept of growth and developing beauty ended up being my solution. I shot still photos, scanned some leaves and later animated them. I also used a changing color scheme throughout the piece setting a different emotion for each phase of growth.



No comments:

Post a Comment